Montag, 7. April 2014

A New Morning in Tokyo

I´m still not sure if I am dreaming, well, to be here it´s kind of a dream for sure. After yesterdays running start in the morning I went for a 16 KM walk across the Rainbow Bridge into the big city. What can you say: it´s an adventure for a western guy walking thru those busy streets, never knowing what will be there behind the next corner :) Accidentally I ran into an old part of the town right at lunchtime. I took the advice some friend gave me: follow the natives when they choose a restaurant. Well, so many to choose from! Hundreds of soup and noodle kitchens were waiting for those hungry souls. Like me :) Finally I made my decision and walked into a dark but cozy place, only japanese people at the tables, good atmosphere, loved it from the second I went in. The waitress brought me to a table with one seat left, and there I was. Couldn´t understand a word, did not know what was on the menue, just took my pick and was wondering what it would be. Maybe I picked hard-boiled eggs :-D The waitress came back, white shiny legs, I know my Bob ya know?! The food was excellent, kind of pork mish-mash with vegetables, very spicy! It came together with som pickles, spicy too, a noodle-soup and a roll with minced meat in it. Free green tea was served too. Beside it´s kind of an experience to eat the soup with chop-sticks, the food tasted like heavens. Here I was, speechless, stranded in that little dark place, surrounded by locals, enjoying my lunch, and forget about the rest.
After having paid my bill, so cheap I couldn´t belive it, I stepped out in the busy streets again. Just run around for a few hours, taking pictures and yes: walked into a drugstore to buy me some masks. I want to look like a local a bit, hiding my "longnose" :-D
Late afternoon I crossed the bridge again and went back to my hotelroom. A little nap to fill the gap :-D And then it was time to meet all the friends at the ZEPP. So they were all already there: Julia, Laurette, Mangala, Alrik, Tim, Rainer, Hollis, Masato, Shioban, Che and many more. As usual I played some Bob songs for the waiting crowd, but couldn´t perform too much, since the hosts started to organize the line with their megaphones. Very strange, but it worked out well, everybody behaved so gentle, great experience. I did not have a ticket for this first night, but with the help of Laurette I found a guy who gave me a spare ticket for a very cheap price. Thank you man, whoever you are!!! Laurette got her ticket too and the show could start. Found my way in Section A, in front of stage, but too late to get a close-up. Anyway it was good for me, could see the stage clearly, not so many tall people around here, good for me ;-) So, my Bob show # 99 could start. And it turned out to be a great one! Nevermind the static setlist to which His Bobness seems to be glued these days: it´s the performance that counts. The band is as tight as can be, best band in the world, after all those years touring with Bob. And the master himself, focused, in great shape, his voice top notch, and so much heart and feelings in the songs. What Good Am I, it left me speechless. So did Forgetful Heart. The whole performance was simply beautiful and topped with Long And Wasted Years, a crowd pleaser definitely. After the encore Bob kneeled at the edge of the stage and signed some lucky guys Rolling Stone Magazine cover. Can you believe that??? Wow, the show is history now, like my 98 shows before, on we go!!!

1 Kommentar: